Friday, July 17, 2009

Mr. President Can We Hear Something New!

President Barack Obama spoke at a NAACP dinner last night to help the organization celebrate 100 years of service. I didn't hear the speech, but from I've read our president is saying the same things about education is the key to success, etc.. Nothing new to report on that front I see from our first black president. I guess President Obama hasn't realized that the plight of black people hasn't really changed a whole lot since the death of Martin Luther King Jr.. While we have more of us ascending into the middle class, we still have a huge underclass of our people that are simply struggling to make it on a day to day basis.

It's interesting to follow Roland Martin and Al Sharpton on Twitter and hear them tweet about the millionaire that they just happened to see, and how cool it is. Now, I've never knocked any one's hustle, and I absolutely respect Martin and Sharpton, but I wonder if any of the money raised last night will ever make it to the "hood" of New York. Bottom line, when in the last few years and months we've had Michael Jackson, Steve McNair, Michael Vick, Donte Stallworth an Antoine Walker, all millionaires squander lives and careers due to lack of personal responsibility, people just lose their minds for whatever reason.

If our president would make all schools equal, our black kids in impoverished areas, may have a shot. However, I know that having Universal Health Care is much more important than black people having access to an equal education.

1 comment:

nothink4me said...

I've written poetry intended to enlighten and uplift as well as inspire and educate our troubled youth of today. I call it poetry for the mind and not the heart.Will you stop by for a visit?
http://adultrhymesalookintoreality.blogspot.com